FAQs Assemble your documents
This depends on your desired course.
Each university has different application requirements. Please find out from the universities which documents you need. The requirements vary between universities and courses of study.
For all universities, you generally need:
- the application form that you create in My assist.
- educational certificates such as secondary school leaving certificates and proofs of already completed university courses including an overview of subjects and grades. Depending on your country of origin and your desired course of study, other documents may be necessary, such as proof of having passed a university entrance exam.
- recognised language certificates showing German language proficiency for your desired course. Language certificates may be necessary for other foreign languages. For international courses of study, English language certificates are sometimes sufficient.
Additional application documents may be required. These could include, for example, special application forms, your CV, internship certificates or letters of motivation and letters of recommendation. But that depends on your desired course of study.
You need to send each document only once, even if you wish to apply to multiple universities or multiple courses of study. These documents must meet the requirements in form and content for all universities. The requirements for application documents may vary between universities and courses of study.
During processing, your documents will be stamped and may be cut. After the safekeeping period ends, we destroy the documents. uni-assist does not return any documents.
For this reason, you should only send us officially certified copies, never originals!
uni-assist does not take responsibility for loss or damage by post.
Yes. You can submit documents at any time before the application deadline expires.
Have we already forwarded your application to the university? In this case, please ask the university’s admission office where to send your documents.
Are you applying for the preliminary review documentation (VPD)? If so, you should allow sufficient time for your application, because with the VPD, you still have to apply to the university directly.
If accepted, you will need an attestation from your university on your future degree and the studies completed so far.
If universities do not accept applications with preliminary certificates, you can only apply with a completed undergraduate degree.
Please contact your chosen university directly before applying to find out if you can apply with a preliminary certificate.
Which documents do I need to submit regarding my semester(s) abroad?
Please submit the overviews of subjects and grades for your entire studies, including semesters abroad.
If the overview of subjects and grades used by your university does not show clearly that semesters abroad are recognised for your degree, ask your university for a letter of acknowledgement to confirm this. Submit the letter together with your other documents.
My university did not issue an overall grade for my degree. Does uni-assist take into account the grades achieved during my semester(s) abroad when calculating an average grade in the German system of grades?
In order to do this, all grades that count towards your degree need to be stated using the same grading system. This means: Your university must give you an overview of subjects and grades which shows all grades in a unified grading system. Otherwise, we cannot take into account any grades achieved during your semester(s) abroad when calculating an average grade in the German system of grades.
This depends on your desired course.
Universities have very different requirements for language skills. Be sure to check with the universities about the required language level and the necessary language certificates. The requirements vary from university to university and from course to course.
Tips on language skills and language certificates:
- German is the language of instruction for most courses of study in Germany. This is why you generally have to prove sufficient German language proficiency, for example with a DSH or TestDaF certificate or a certificate from the Goethe-Institut.
- Some courses of study require language certificates for other foreign languages (for example, for language studies or international courses of study). TOEFL or IELTS certificates may be required for English, for example.
- If you intend to apply for a Studienkolleg (preparatory course) or for a preparatory German language course, then you generally also need to prove a certain level of German language proficiency. That also applies for the Studienkolleg even if, subsequently, you wish to take a bachelor course with English as language of instruction. This is because the language of instruction in the Studienkolleg is German.
- Some courses of study are available in English, in which case you may need little to no German. You can find international courses of study in the DAAD “International Programmes” database.
Your language certificates must be received by uni-assist before the end of the application deadline, in the original language and, if necessary, also in certified translation (either English or German). Before you apply, please check with each university which language certificates are required.
We can verify your TestDaF certificate online. Therefore, simply upload your certificate to your My assist account. A certified copy is not required.
Your test results are being published online before the end of the application deadline, but you do not receive your TestDaF certificate in time? Then please upload your confirmation of registration for the exam before the end of the application deadline.
The test date and your participant number must be displayed on the confirmation of registration.
Certified copies & translations
Your chosen university determines whether your documents need to be certified.
If so, simply submit all required documents as an upload – even without official certification.
Does your chosen university require officially certified copies of your educational certificates (including overviews of subjects and grades) and proofs of language proficiency? Then, please send them to us by post. This applies both to copies of the certificates in the original language and to copies of certified translations.
To find out how and where to get documents certified, please check:
If your documents are not issued in German or English, they generally must be translated into German or English.
Does your chosen university require an application in paper form? If so, please always send officially certified copies of the translations as well as an officially certified copy of the original document, since we do not send your documents back.
To find out who is allowed to translate your certificates and proofs of language proficiency, please check:
Yes. Officially certified copies must be submitted as hard copies, because they must contain the original official stamp and the original signature of the certifying person.
Scans, uploads or simple photocopies of officially certified copies are not valid.
Do you hold a high school diploma from a school recognised by a US accreditation body?
You will need to submit the following documents:
- Your certificates from grade 9 to 12 stating your cumulative GPA (unweighted!), generally as officially certified copies.
Important: We need your certificates using the US grading system – i.e. the numerical 0-4 or A, B, C, D scale. If you were not graded according to the US grading system, we need a comparison of the system used with the US grading system.
Two important notes:
- Your high school diploma must conform to the US curriculum.
This means that all course names need to conform to the US curriculum.
Course names like “Mathematics” or “English” are not sufficient. We always need the US course names like “Algebra”, “Geometry”, “Trigonometry”, “Pre-Calculus”, “English I-IV”, “English Honors” or “AP English”.
- A US high school diploma alone does not allow you to study in Germany.
You must complete the Studienkolleg (preparatory course) first. Direct studies are possible only if you have passed AP exams with specific results.
- Further information about your university entrance qualification: Check: university admission.
- Further information on AP exams: country-specific information for the United States
Please submit the following documents:
Your final IB Diploma including all subjects and grades, issued by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO)
All reports from the last two school years of the IB programme (term / semester reports or transcripts), including the report from the last term / semester with the final marks
These reports must show at which level (Standard or Higher Level) you studied the six IB subjects throughout the last two school years.
Please submit additional written confirmation from your school if:
your reports do not show the level for all subjects
not all of the reports show the level for all subjects
the names of the subjects in the reports are different from those in the IB Diploma
the reports do not indicate whether the languages were taken as “A“, “B“ or “ab initio“
It is not sufficient that your IB Diploma contains this information. In addition, all of your reports must contain this information, or written confirmation from your school is required.
How to apply if you have not yet received your final IB Diploma
We are able to verify your IB results on the IBO website after they have been published at the beginning of January or July – but only if you follow these steps:
- You must ask the IB coordinator at your school to make your results available to uni-assist via the IB secure website (IBIS). If you don‘t do this, we will not be able to verify your results.
- Next you must inform us of the release of your results. Please send us a message via the contact form on our website (https://my.uni-assist.de/hilfe). Additionally, you need to upload your IB results to your My assist account.
- Please also submit the report from the last term / semester with the final marks as soon as the report has been issued by your school.
We do not automatically verify all results which IBO makes available to uni-assist. Therefore it is necessary for you to contact us as soon as your results have been released.
Regardless of the verification of your IB results, we still need your reports from the last two school years. For some universities, these are required as officially certified copies. If your school only provides reports electronically then your school can certify these by printing, signing and stamping them.
How to apply if you have already received your final IB Diploma
If you have already received your final IB Diploma, then you must send us a copy of this document. It is no longer sufficient just to make your results available online or to submit a transcript of grades. This is only acceptable for a limited period of time. As soon as the final IB Diploma is issued, it becomes necessary for your application.
In addition, you must submit the reports from the last two school years. For some universities, these are required as officially certified copies. If your school only provides reports electronically then your school can certify these by printing, signing and stamping them.
How to apply if you have retaken any IB exams
Please send us a message via the contact form on our website (https://my.uni-assist.de/hilfe). You also need to upload your new IB results to your My assist online account.
How to apply if you have not yet received your final IB Diploma after the retakes
Please refer to “How to apply if you have not yet received your final IB Diploma”
How to apply if you have already received your final IB Diploma after the retakes
Please refer to “How to apply if you have already received your final IB Diploma”
Applicants who have taken German in the IB Diploma must still enquire at the university to which they are applying about language requirements. Taking German in the IB Diploma does not automatically mean that no further evidence of German language proficiency is required.
Click “Schulabschlüsse mit Hochschulzugang“
Select the country “International Baccalaureate“
Please send your application directly to your chosen university. uni-assist is not responsible for the evaluation of European Baccaleaureate Diplomas.