FAQs Assemble your documents
This depends on your desired course.
Each university has different application requirements. Please find out from the universities which documents you need. The requirements vary between universities and courses of study.
For all universities, you generally need:
- the application form that you create in our online portal My assist.
- educational certificates such as secondary school leaving certificates and proofs of already completed university courses including an overview of subjects and grades. Depending on your country of origin and your desired course of study, other documents may be necessary, such as proof of having passed a university entrance exam.
- recognised language certificates showing German language proficiency for your desired course. Language certificates may be necessary for other foreign languages. For international courses of study, English language certificates are sometimes sufficient.
Additional application documents may be required. These could include, for example, special application forms, your CV, internship certificates or letters of motivation and letters of recommendation. But that depends on your desired course of study.
You need to send each document only once, even if you wish to apply to multiple universities or multiple courses of study. These documents must meet the requirements in form and content for all universities. The requirements for application documents may vary between universities and courses of study.
During processing, your documents will be stamped and may be cut. After the safekeeping period ends, we destroy the documents. uni-assist does not return any documents.
For this reason, you should only send us officially certified copies, never originals!
uni-assist does not take responsibility for loss or damage by post.
Yes. You can submit documents at any time before the application deadline expires.
Have we already forwarded your application to the university? In this case, please ask the university’s admission office where to send your documents.
Are you applying for the preliminary review documentation (VPD)? If so, you should allow sufficient time for your application, because with uni-assist’s VPD, you still have to apply to the university directly.
If accepted, you will need an attestation from your university on your future degree and the studies completed so far.
If universities do not accept applications with preliminary certificates, you can only apply with a completed undergraduate degree.
Please contact your chosen university directly before applying to find out if you can apply with a preliminary certificate.
Which documents do I need to submit regarding my semester(s) abroad?
Please submit the overviews of subjects and grades for your entire studies, including semesters abroad.
If the overview of subjects and grades used by your university does not show clearly that semesters abroad are recognised for your degree, ask your university for a letter of acknowledgement to confirm this. Submit the letter together with your other documents.
My university did not issue an overall grade for my degree. Does uni-assist take into account the grades achieved during my semester(s) abroad when calculating an average grade in the German system of grades?
In order to do this, all grades that count towards your degree need to be stated using the same grading system. This means: Your university must give you an overview of subjects and grades which shows all grades in a unified grading system. Otherwise, we cannot take into account any grades achieved during your semester(s) abroad when calculating an average grade in the German system of grades.
This depends on your desired course.
Universities have very different requirements for language skills. Be sure to check with the universities about the required language level and the necessary language certificates. The requirements vary from university to university and from course to course.
Tips on language skills and language certificates:
- German is the language of instruction for most courses of study in Germany. This is why you generally have to prove sufficient German language proficiency, for example with a DSH or TestDaF certificate or a certificate from the Goethe-Institut.
- Some courses of study require language certificates for other foreign languages (for example, for language studies or international courses of study). TOEFL or IELTS certificates may be required for English, for example.
- If you intend to apply for a Studienkolleg (preparatory course) or for a preparatory German language course, then you generally also need to prove a certain level of German language proficiency. That also applies for the Studienkolleg even if, subsequently, you wish to take a bachelor course with English as language of instruction. This is because the language of instruction in the Studienkolleg is German.
- Some courses of study are available in English, in which case you may need little to no German. You can find international courses of study in the DAAD “International Programmes” database.
Your language certificates must be received by uni-assist before the end of the application deadline. They generally must be submitted by post as officially certified copies in the original language and, if necessary, also in certified translation (either English or German). Before you apply, please check with each university which language certificates are required.
Your test results are being published online before the end of the application deadline, but you do not receive your TestDaF certificate in time? Then please upload your confirmation of registration for the exam before the application deadline expires.
The test date and your participant number must be displayed on the confirmation of registration.
Certified copies & translations
Your chosen university determines whether your documents need to be certified.
Generally, you have to submit all educational certificates (including overviews of subjects and grades) and proofs of language proficiency as officially certified copies by post. This applies both to copies of the certificates in the original language and to copies of certified translations.
To find out how and where to get documents certified, please check:
If your documents are not issued in German or English, they generally must be translated into German or English.
Please always send officially certified copies of the translations as well as an officially certified copy of the original document, since we do not send your documents back.
To find out who is allowed to translate your certificates and proofs of language proficiency, please check:
Yes. Officially certified copies must be submitted as hard copies, because they must contain the original official stamp and the original signature of the certifying person.
Scans, uploads or simple photocopies of officially certified copies are not valid.
Do you hold a high school diploma from a school recognised by a US accreditation body?
You will need to submit the following documents:
- Your certificates from grade 9 to 12 stating your cumulative GPA (unweighted!), generally as officially certified copies.
Important: We need your certificates using the US grading system – i.e. the numerical 0-4 or A, B, C, D scale. If you were not graded according to the US grading system, we need a comparison of the system used with the US grading system.
Two important notes:
- Your high school diploma must conform to the US curriculum.
This means that all course names need to conform to the US curriculum.
Course names like “Mathematics” or “English” are not sufficient. We always need the US course names like “Algebra”, “Geometry”, “Trigonometry”, “Pre-Calculus”, “English I-IV”, “English Honors” or “AP English”.
- A US high school diploma alone does not allow you to study in Germany.
You must complete the Studienkolleg (preparatory course) first. Direct studies are possible only if you have passed AP exams with specific results.
- Further information about your university entrance qualification: Check: university admission.
- Further information on AP exams: country-specific information for the United States
Please submit the following documents:
- Your IB Diploma issued by the IB Organization, with an overview of subjects and grades
- Certificates from the last two academic years of the IB programme (all certificates / term reports / semester reports)
The certificates from the last two academic years, including the overview of subjects and grades, must show the level (Standard or Higher Level) at which you studied the six IB subjects in the last two years of school. If these certificates/reports do not show the level for all subjects, we need an attestation from your school stating the level at which you studied these subjects during the last two years. The stated level on the IB Diploma alone is not sufficient.
If you would like to apply before your IB Diploma has been issued on paper, we can verify your exam results online. In order to do this, you need to ask your school’s IB coordinator early to make your results available to universities and relevant institutions on the IBO homepage. If this does not happen, we cannot retrieve your results.
Please note that uni-assist will not verify exam results before you have notified us via our contact form that the IBO has published your results. We do not automatically verify all available records supplied by the IBO.
You generally have to submit officially certified copies of your certificates of the last two years – regardless of whether or not your results were verified online.
The university you are applying to can give you information about the linguistic requirements for holders of IB Diplomas who have taken German as an exam subject.
- At anabin choose „Schulabschlüsse mit Hochschulzugang“
- Select the country „Schweiz“
Please send your application directly to your chosen univeristy. uni-assist is not responsible for the evaluation of European Baccaleaureate Diplomas.