Bachelor & Staatsexamen

If you start your university studies in Germany, you will usually conclude them with a bachelor degree. The Staatsexamen is currently the most common degree for courses such as medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, pharmacy and law. Find out now what you should know about admission requirements.

Criteria check

University entrance qualification

If you wish to study a bachelor or Staatsexamen course, you will need a University entrance qualification, called a “Hochschulzugangsberechtigung”. These are educational certificates which prove that you are qualified to study at a German university - especially your school leaving certificate. Depending on your country of origin, several semesters of university studies in that country may additionally be required.

Are you unsure if you have a University entrance qualification? Use our tool "Check: university admission" to find out.

Check: university admission

Your result – what happens next?

Direct admission

Do your educational certificates qualify you for direct entry into your chosen course of study? Please read our guidelines on additional criteria.

Preparatory course

Are you qualified for the Studienkolleg (preparatory course)? Use our Studienkolleg page to find out what this means for you and what happens next.

I don’t know

If you are not sure whether you can take up your studies directly, if you need to attend a Studienkolleg first or even if you are not qualified to study in Germany at all, we will find out while processing your application. You should look into additional criteria now.

German language proficiency

In Germany, most courses are taught in German. Therefore, you need to show adequate proficiency in German.

Tip: If your German language proficiency is not sufficient yet, many universities offer a preparatory German language course. For more Information, please contact the university of your choice.

Further criteria

In addition to the University entrance qualification (HZB) and German language proficiency criteria, there are further admission criteria for university studies. These are set by the universities.

The criteria may include proficiencies in other languages and formal application requirements such as deadlines and certification and translation of documents.

Getting information

To ensure a successful application, get information from the uni-assist universities about your options and criteria for your desired course of study.

Get information on the following from the universities of your choice:

The required level of language proficiency, as well as other admission criteria, may vary between universities and between courses of study.

application deadlines may depend on your chosen course of study, your nationality, or the country in which you attained your educational certificates. Many courses start only in the winter semester, not in the summer semester. You can find more information under Deadlines and processing time.

uni-assist is not automatically responsible for all applications to a uni-assist university.

Applications to the first Staatsexamen course semester in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine and pharmacy

Please note: In the following cases, applications are handled via and not by uni-assist:

  • If you are a German, EU or EEA citizen or
  • if you have a German Abitur or
  • if you live in Germany and a member of your family (spouse, parents or child) is a German, EU or EEA citizen.

You can find more information at

Have you obtained information from the universities of your choice and do you meet the criteria?

Continue with the next step.

Plan your application