Alternatives to university studies and counselling
University studies: This is one of the ways to build a life in Germany. But remember: there are many alternatives! It is important for you to be well-informed. This page shows you many important links and offers which will help you make your decisions.
After leaving school in Germany, you may take up university studies or enter an apprenticeship. The latter teaches you a specific job. This usually takes three years. During the apprenticeship you receive a salary each month.
Tip: Refugees who take up an apprenticeship are granted a safe residence title for Germany.
You can read more here:
- Helpful FAQ (1 | 2) on apprenticeships and work in Germany
- Information Portal on apprenticeships, including a lexicon of jobs and job application training
- Videos explaining the apprenticeship system in Germany (German/English/French):
- The career selection calendar of the Federal Employment Agency (also available in Arabic)
- Information Portal on apprenticeships, including a lexicon of jobs and job portal.
- IHKs (Industrie- und Handelskammern) – Chambers of Industry and Commerce in Germany. The IHKs are in contact with many companies in Germany and offer counselling on apprenticeships.
- On this page, the Federal Employment Agency offers an overview of various jobs as well as an orientation guide
Many students, university students or young graduates complete an internship with a company or organisation. This allows them to acquire work experience and become familiar with the job market. An internship generally takes 1 to 6 months. Interns work for little money.
Find out about internships
- You can find an overview on the topic of internships at study-in.de
- The Federal Employment Agency offers internship placement for refugees
- A platform that helps refugees in Germany find internships
Refugees are permitted to work in Germany even while the procedure for granting the right of asylum is still underway.
- Helpful FAQ on apprenticeships and work in Germany
- The Federal Employment Agency offers important advice
- The app "Ankommen" offers a good overview. It is also available in Arabic and Farsi.
Catching up on your education
Are you unable to take up university studies with the level education you attained in your native country? It is possible to complete your education in Germany. Use the following links to find out how:
German language classes
- Important hints and links of the DAAD on German language classes for university studies
- Offers by the Goethe Institut – apps, online classes and more.
- Learn German on the web site of Deutsche Welle
- A language course offer by the German Adult Education Association. The site is available in Arabic, Farsi and other languages.
- You can find integration classes near you using this search form
Counselling & alternatives to university studies
- Would you like to take up university studies, but haven’t found a place at a university? Using KIRON, you can begin your studies without losing any time
- How to get into university – Guideline for Refugees who would like to study by the University of Bonn. The guideline is available in Arabic on the universitys site.
- Guidelines of DAAD for refugees who wish to study in Germany
- Education counselling by the University Guarantee Fund
- If you have questions on the recognition of non-German vocational credentials, take a look at the pages of the Network IQ ("Integration through Qualification")
- Make it in Germany – important information around studies, work, vocational training, residency, German language classes and more
- A collection of helpful information for refugees in Germany, offered by the PRO ASYL organisation – also available in Arabic.
- Overview of refugee councils in Germany by PRO ASYL