A course within a Studienkolleg which prepares you academically and linguistically for your studies in a specific subject area.
These courses are offered for various subject areas ("Fachrichtungen") and take one year (2 semesters). Each course culminates in a university qualification exam, the “Feststellungsprüfung” or “FSP”. Once you have passed the exam, you may apply for a bachelor course (or a comparable undergraduate course of study) in your subject area.
Studienkollegs at "Universitäten" (universities) offer the following subject areas:
- G course: for subjects within the humanities
- S course: for linguistic subjects (some universities have combined G and S courses)
- W course: for subjects within social and economic sciences
- T course: for technical, scientific and mathematical subjects
- M course: for medical and biological subjects
Studienkollegs at "Fachhochschulen" (universities of applied sciences) offer the following focus courses:
- TI course: for technical and engineering subjects
- WW course: for subjects within the economic sciences
- GD course: for artistic subjects
- SW course: for subjects within social sciences