Registration and applicant number
- If uni-assist receives documents from an applicant for the very first time, then we will allocate an applicant number that from then on will appear on all of our correspondence. All applications made by the applicant in any semester will carry this applicant number.
- Applicants can also register themselves via our uni-assist online portal for study applicants, and will then see their applicant number immediately in their online account.
- If uni-assist has already received post and allocated an applicant number, applicants can still create an online account later – the applicant just needs to ensure that they provide the applicant number allocated to them by uni-assist. In their online account, study applicants can find out what the current processing status of their application(s) is as well as submit new applications and upload application documents.
- It is only possible to apply online once the university in question has published their list of study courses for the current semester. However, it is possible to register as an applicant at any time.
Confirmation of receipt
- For all post, electronically-transferred applications and payments that reach uni-assist, the applicant will automatically receive a confirmation of receipt by e-mail – even if the post or payment is not actually sent by the applicant but by a third party or an institution.
- Confirmations of receipt are only sent by post if no e-mail address is provided by the applicant, or the address provided does not work.
- When application documents are registered, it is not possible for a check of their integrity or a listing of the individual documents to be carried out there and then. Incoming documents can only be assigned to the categories 'Applications', 'Certificates' or 'Other Documents'.
- The official date of arrival of an application shall be the day on which all application documents have reached uni-assist in full and the payment of the handling fees has arrived and been correctly allocated to the application.
- An application generally takes up to six weeks to be processed once the application and fees have arrived.
- Applications cannot be processed if the due handling fees have not been fully paid.
- uni-assist is only able to process applications conclusively once the university in question has specified the regulations for checking and informed uni-assist of these. This will only happen during the current application semester.
- The application deadlines as published by the universities will only count for applicants, not for uni-assist and their processing. uni-assist agrees a different deadline with the universities by which all applications that are submitted and paid on-time have to be processed. uni-assist guarantees applicants that their applications will be processed on-time in this regard, plus the universities will not begin their selection process until uni-assist has forwarded all applications to them that were submitted on-time, in full and fulfilling all requirements.
- Any applications for later semesters will be subjected to a preliminary check, so that the applicant may be informed early about any basic omissions. uni-assist cannot, however, provide a conclusive result until the university has specified all criteria for the relevant semester and informed uni-assist of these.
- Any changes that applicants may wish to make to applications they have already submitted may be sent to uni-assist via our contact form at any time up until when the application is forwarded to the university. For certain universities, it may be necessary to send a new paper application form.
Result of processing
uni-assist will inform all applicants by e-mail and post of the processing result of all submitted applications. The two possible results are:
a) The application has been forwarded.
If an application reaches uni-assist in full before the application deadline and fulfils all requirements set out by the university, uni-assist will forward the application to the university electronically. Any submitted paper documents will be archived at uni-assist for a year and can be used for any further applications to other universities.
- When an application is forwarded, responsibility for that application moves to the university’s admissions office. Only the university may decide whether the applicant will be offered a study place. Letters of admission or rejection are also sent by the university, and the university will inform the applicant of all further steps.
- When an application is forwarded to a university, this does not guarantee the applicant a study place!
- Each university has different requirements and application deadlines. These can vary not only from university to university, but also from study course to study course. Therefore, it may occur that some applications will be forwarded on whilst other applications made by the same applicant using the same documents will not be forwarded.
- If the applicant receives admission from several universities, then they are free to choose which study place they would like to accept.
- Applicants may apply for a student visa via the German consular representation in their home country once uni-assist has informed them that their application has been forwarded to the university. This does not, however, legally entitle the applicant to a visa; a German university has to accept a student first before a visa can be issued.
b) The application has not been forwarded.
If an application does not reach uni-assist on time, in full or does not fulfil all requirements set out by the university, uni-assist will not be able to forward this application on to the university.
- Up until the application deadline, further documents can be submitted at any time to complete an application. The application will then be checked again and the applicant will receive a notification of the result.
- If the required documents are not or cannot be submitted before the application deadline (regardless of the reason), then the application will not be forwarded on to the university. The applicant can however re-apply for a later semester. For a new semester, the applicant will need to make a new application and pay the handling fees again. Any documents currently archived at uni-assist will not need to be submitted again.
- All applications received by uni-assist are checked with the greatest care and accuracy. If however an applicant should feel that we have made a mistake in their case, the applicant may contact us in writing (by letter, fax or simply via our contact form) and state the reasons for their complaint. uni-assist’s management will look into the complaint and answer in writing. If the applicant should disagree with this answer as well, uni-assist will forward the application to the corresponding university where a final decision will be made and the university shall issue a notification, which shall have legal capacity.