Studying in Germany
Who is uni-assist and what is its purpose?
The core task of uni-assist is the evaluation of international school/ university certificates. uni-assist examines if the submitted school/ university certificates are equivalent to German school/ university degrees, i.e. whether they qualify in principle for admission to university studies in Germany. Additionally, German universities can entrust uni-assist with the evaluation of further criteria which are subject to preliminary examination. In the event of a positive examination result, uni-assist forwards the application electronically to the university.
Some universities require the so-called VPD procedure. For all applicants for those universities uni-assist issues a certificate ("Vorpruefungsdokumentation/ VPD) with which one can apply directly to the university.
Since uni-assist does not receive any state funding, the preliminary examination of the international school/ university certificates is against payment. Generally, the applicants bear the costs incurred for the preliminary examination of their educational certificates. The German universities can opt to pay the fee, and some universites make use of that option, particularly when it comes to applications for master degree programmes.
uni-assist takes over the preliminary review of international university applications:
- uni-assist documents all data relevant to the application and scans all documents that are sent by the applicants;
- uni-assist determines whether the foreign certificates correspond with the criteria set down by the culture ministers' conference (Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen (ZaB)) and in principle suffice for admission to university in Germany;
- uni-assist calculates the German equivalent of the foreign final degree grade;
- uni-assist evaluates language competencies and other requirements specific to the course of study commensurate with the criteria set down by the universities;
- uni-assist evaluates whether applicants meet general admission requirements to the universities and informs the applicants and the universities of the outcome.
Please note: In any case, the universities themselves decide on the matter of admission.